Friday, March 9, 2018

Not getting very far

I started a new memory quilt with tee shirts from a former client. She came to me a couple of years ago and liked her oldest son's quilt so much that she contacted me again. Honestly, if it weren't that she's such a sweet little momma, I'd have declined. 



How can I possibly say no to someone who opens the conversation with, "We love the quilt so much that we want another for the second son"? Wait, you like it that much? 


Well anyway, these shirts are boys' athletic shirts, which are really difficult to work with. You know the kind, right? Thick athletic jerseys meant to last for several years of running, tackling, and jumping in water, mud and grass.



Some of the tee-shirts are almost as bad. Some have that thick screen printing paint that shreds thread and dulls needles. It's a mess. And don't think that you can hand quilt it. I've tried. It's like trying to stick a needle through a rubber tire. No way.



But for all the complaining, I did get every shirt cut out and organized (hence, a finish) and even have sewn a few. The quilt top should be ready for the long-arm in a few days. Well, that assumes that I'll get more sewing done. 



Have you noticed that I have a small piece of paper pinned to some of the shirts? You can't read them, but each one is important to put the shirts together when designing the top. The paper has the size of the block, where on the top it should go, and anything else I need to remember. Having these notes makes makes the whole process much easier. 



And finally, we had a beautiful sunset tonight. I happened to be walking from the studio at dusk and noticed the sky. The weather was perfectly gorgeous all day, but we expect a serious storm around 3 a.m. so the sky is getting ready. 


Love these Link Ups!
Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Can I get a Whoop! Whoop!)

10 comments:

Marty Mason said...

Go ahead and get that quilt made so you can move on to the fun. I'm with you on t-shirt quilts.....I made one from Tom's Harley shirts and grumbled the entire making. It took me making one to know that I would not want to punish myself that much again.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Ugh, I wouldn't want to work with those fabrics - you are a trooper!

Kaja said...

Well it may not be much fun to do, but how lovely that your first one was such a success that you were asked again. Good like getting it all pieced and quilted without incident!

Mary Marcotte said...

The thing is they pay the bills for some of my costly habits: rulers, rotary cutter blades, needles, thread, fabric...you get the idea.
I have promised this one and one more. Then it's goodbye to the tee-shirt quilts. I'll just have to skimp on the groceries. :)
Marty, I myself by making a fun quilt between the tee-shirt ones. Until now, it's been a pretty good incentive.

The Joyful Quilter said...

When I work with those athletic shirts, I layer them with T-shirt material so the batting doesn't show through. I quilt around the rubbery designs and through most of the rest. You're FAST, if it takes you such a short amount of time to get the quilt top done. I'm in awe of you!!

Karen S said...

It is a big job. Well done for taking it on and good luck!

Mary Marcotte said...

It doesn't feel like I'm fast! I use either the back of another tee (blank) shirt or muslin.
My real grief is that gummy screen printing. But I'll push through. Haha

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks, Karen!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks, Tami! I'll work toward a finish and give myself a nice reward after. :]

Mary Marcotte said...

I've made enough to finally have my lesson!