Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Is southwest still west?

Side view of the church
It seems like it's been a week since my last post but it's actually only been four days. I guess Richard's crazy traveling routine has me confused. It seems that we drive until we're exhausted and then stop and die for a few hours. Of course, there's been a little sightseeing in all that traveling, but always in a rush to get back on the road.



One of the more fascinating places we visited was the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City. I was amazed by the size of the campus and the abundance of flower beds. Not allowed to take any pictures inside the buildings, I had to satisfy myself with a few pictures of flowers and facades. I still had a great time, even with the ticking of the parking meter.









Brigham Young and the Pioneers completed by Cyrus Dallin in 1893.
source information: 
http://historytogo.utah.gov

History museum of the Mormon religion (I think)
but it's the waterfall on the building that I love.





A little man-made stream almost a block long but only about 4-5 feet wide.
Too bad there are no benches. I really wanted to plop down and rest in the shade.


No idea what these are but there were clusters of them lining the street.


Huge clusters of wonderfully scented roses 
And very pretty!
Blueberries! Ripe for eating. Clustered around the roses.
I could not resist taking a picture of this building--so
quaint in comparison to the other huge structures






 Have you been to Salt Lake City or the Mormon Tabernacle? If so, what was your favorite feature? If not, what in today's post interests you about the area?

5 comments:

Karen S said...

It certainly does look stunning.

Kaja said...

Now I have a mental vision of Richard fast-forwarding across the US with you hanging out the window, desperately snapping the view as you speed past.

Mary Marcotte said...

Karen, those flower beds were perfect! Not one blade of grass anywhere. Yes, I looked. The buildings...well, you'd just have to see for yourself.
Kaja, you're really pretty close with that vision! I took pictures out of the dirty windshield; from my window (up, down, didn't matter); out of Richard's window ("Move your face!"); and a few times out of the backseat window--that required contortionist moves which probably confused passersby.
Shouting "Stop! Stop!" didn't affect him very much after the second or third time. Anyway, it's impossible to stop quickly enough with a camper pushing you along. Fun times and memories!

Anonymous said...

What is the size of your rectangle in the tractor quilt please thank you
Nrsi2000@aol.com
Cindy

Mary Marcotte said...

Cindy, the directions for the original by AmandaJean are on her website (http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2017/06/june-quilt-qal-week-2.html). I sewed and trimmed my strip blocks using her directions but then cut the red solid to match.
Thanks for visiting, Mary