Friday, June 23, 2017

"Under the Haystack Fast Asleep" ~~ Finish

I've been on a tear in an attempt to use up some of the blue fabric in the stash. It's beginning to become a burden. Actually it's more like seasickness. But I'm determined. I have one more quilt top complete and ready to go on the long arm for quilting. This one, though, is complete and ready to go to a baby boy.  I'm calling it "Under the Haystack Fast Asleep."

Did you notice the green chair. It's part of the set with this orange chair. 





 For this quarter square log cabin, I decided to make the blocks wonky. Talk about add some movement! It may be the reason that I'm sick of working with the quilts. 



Of course, I could just be sick of the weather. Tropical Storm Cindy is doing her job very well. Thunder rolls with very little time between each burst. The puppies are getting hoarse from barking at the thunder.



And in case the weather and the puppies are not enough to entertain, we have an incessant red bird attacking himself against our windows. Now we get one every year (I wonder if it's a family trait) but those have always chosen one window. This guy will attack any window: the bow window in the living room, the window near the long arm, the kitchen window, the window by the machine. 



Quilt Stats
Name: Under the Haystack Fast Asleep
Size: 40" X 40" 
Fabrics: Variety of blues from stash
Background: n/a
Binding: scrap fabrics left from blocks
Pattern: Wonky Quarter Log Cabin
Quilting: practice quilting / variety of motifs

It's all well and good to have an extra quilt or two for those times when you need one quick, but you know, I needed a little diversion. That said, I made a pincushion. I bought a new ruler--one for making hexies. It allows measurements for 1" to 5" hexies. So I cut out two 5" pieces, sewed around the block, leaving an opening of course. Then turned it right side out and stuffed it with walnut shells. Easy, easy! I didn't quilt it because truthfully I didn't even think about it. How silly is that? (Maybe don't answer that question. hehe)



Linking up with

10 comments:

Quilting Stories said...

Wonderful quilt! I love the pattern of the quarter Log Cabin, it may be my next project!

Kaja said...

Spotted that green chair straight away!I like your quilt a lot, but if using the blue is making you seasick, I suggest you stop straightaway. Go off and make an orange quilt, or a green one, and see if that cures you. :-)

Mary Marcotte said...

Haha Kaja, I am taking your advice. Off to start another quilt straightaway!

Christine, it's a fast project, especially if you stick to one quilt at a time.

Thanks for visiting ladies!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your newly completed quilt. It is sure to make baby feel cozy and loved.

Slice of Pi said...

Congrats on the finish! I can definitely relate to being sick of working with the same fabrics! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

Mary Marcotte said...

No, Laura, thanks for hosting TGIFF. I enjoyed having a few visitors and just as much getting to visit a few quilters, too.

Joyful, these little quilt are meant to have on hand so I don't have to race to get a quilt done when someone announces an expectant baby. If they are still around for a while, I donate them to the local hospital.

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out so cute!

Ann said...

You are so smart to make these baby quilts. Good place to try out ideas. Like you, I've found it helpful to always have a few on hand.
I'm so interested in these various quarter log cabins. You, Audrey and Kaja among others. Such fun to see how differently they all come out.

Marly said...

I love the wonky quarter log cabins, although I understand the seasickness! I was going to make quarter log cabins for the AHIQ invitation too; I just never even got to the cutting stage!
You're going to make some lucky new parents happy with this present for their bundle of joy!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Marly! I ended up making two quarter-square log cabin quilts (finished), a rail fence (still in top stage), and have another top cut out. I still had blue scraps left, do I joined AmandaJean's QAL at Crazy Mom Quilts. I think I just got tired of working with the blue scraps and thinking of different ways to use them. Oddly, I still have blue scraps because I wanted a variety of blues, so I'd pull some yardage and cut from that. Ha! I'm thinking it's an insane way to live.

Ann, the 1/4 log cabins are actually quite easy to make. And fast. You'll enjoy playing with them. Thanks for the compliments, ladies. I enjoyed hearing from you all.